Spring treats! Continue on with my lemon series, today I’m sharing with you one of my favourite combo~ Lemon, ginger, and white chocolate! I cannot express how much I love this combo! It always work in pretty much anything! 🙂 I came across some nice white chocolate in a local deli the other day which I cannot resist not to buy! Along with lots of lemon and a lot of ginger at home, this is great dessert for my week!
I made this dessert, really, because I just have this really strong crave for lemon, but other than that, there’s also another reason! I’m ‘literally’ PRACTICING my skills, preparation for a challenging mission for my friend’s wedding that happened last Saturday! I must say it was a great success! I’ll keep you updated about the wedding in another post (later on~) .. Anyway, back to this post, I was quite happy with the blondies whilst making it, until I got to the stage where I start making my white chocolate glazing, I was shocked with the “separation” of my chocolate (just I’ve mentioned, I’ve spend some decent amount of money in my white chocolate and it will be sooooo over if I made a mistake with it!) And yes, it did happened, the white chocolate separated when I mixed it with the melted butter!! NOOOOOOOO!!! But you know what , I didn’t really care cause I just hope for the best! So as I applied it onto my blondies, miracle appeared! As it starts cooling, the separation stopped and formed a nice shiny glaze! Well, I wouldn’t call it perfect whatsoever, but at least I have some coconut to cover the ugly ‘bits’ up! So I think the photos weren’t as bad, huh?!?
You’ll need (makes 12 slices):
For the blondies
- 200 grams caster sugar
- 110 grams of unsalted butter, cut into dices
- 2 eggs, at room temperature
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- 260 grams plain flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- Zest of 3 lemons
- 60 ml of lemon juice
- 2 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 3 tablespoon of fresh grated ginger
- 1 teaspoon of grounded ginger
For the frosting
- 50 grams desiccated coconut
- 200 grams white chocolate, melted
- 2 teaspoons of icing sugar
- 2 tablespoon of unsalted butter
- 1 tablespoon of milk
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla essence
- 2 teaspoon of grounded ginger
- Preheat oven to 180ºC. Line a 25 x 25cm rectangle pan with non-stick baking paper with 2 cm overhang..
- Sift flour, salt and baking soda in a bowl. Leave aside
- Cream sugar and butter in the bowl of an electric mixer fitted with a paddle attachment. (or use a hand mixer with the whisk attachment)
- Add eggs (one at a time) and vanilla and beat until combined.
- Mix in lemon juice and zest. Add grated ginger and grounded ginger. Mix until combined.
- Add flour mixture (in 3 separate addition) and fold until combined. Spread into prepared pan.
- Bake for 20-25 minutes or when a skewer inserted comes out clean. Remove from oven and cool completely before frosting.
- Meanwhile, prepare the frosting. Melt butter and white chocolate together in microwave. Stir in powdered sugar and vanilla. Stir in milk to get desired consistency. Spread chocolate mixture over the blondies and sprinkle with coconut and grounded ginger.
- Until chocolate has set, cut into slices and serve.
Oops, this last photo is a bad quality photo – but I just feel like showing a ‘zoom up’ – just bare with me! 🙂
- Frosting: The mixture may seemed to be separated when mixing, that’s okay. It will be the same after chocolate sets.
- Do not over-mix the flour when making the blondies otherwise it will become too runny.
- Tap the pan on a solid surface to remove extra bubbles before making the blondies.
- Store blondies in an air tight container and last for 3 days.
Lightly adapted from Taste.com