It’s time for a change! Lately I’ve been wanting to make some South American food at home, because I have been bound by a group of lovely South American colleagues! Every now and then, they would bring in some home made lunch – Tacos, Wraps, Nachos! I love them! It’s simple to make, tasty and are great food to share around with your loved ones! So last weekend, I’ve decided to make some Tacos and share with it IK for our special brunch (especially lazy for a Saturday morning)! It turns out great I must say – the flavours are full and we’re very satisfied with the result! 🙂
I would tell you that being a lazy home-cook would literally means using too much short-cuts~ Not that I hate doing things from scratch, but like I’ve said, I need time to be relaxed and enjoy ~ and probably not spending hours in the kitchen before the food get to be served (IK will be complaining – Can we eat yet!?? ) HAHAH..
Anyhow, besides the store-bought taco shells, I’ve made everything from REAL ingredients, which is very good indeed! One of the new spice that I fell in love with lately, is the smoked paprika~ It has a great flavour to it and it is pretty much friendly to any dish! Love it! I’ve implemented that in to my beef mince as well as my taco sauce! With a total of 12 full beef tacos, (I’ve got 5 and IK got 7 – Geez,, he’s definitely a big eater!) We’ve got ourselves pretty well covered! By the way, if you wanted to do something quick and easy, you’ll find plenty here! So I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe!
You need (makes 12):
For the Taco
- 12 Taco Shell (check out here for recipe)
- 150 grams beef mince
- 2 tablespoon of smoked paprika
- 1 tomato, diced
- 1 tablespoon of beef stock powder
- 1 onion, finely diced
- 1 shallot, finely diced
- 2 teaspoon of olive oil
For the taco sauce
- 150 ml of cold water,
- 2 tomatoes, finely diced
- 1 small capsicum, finely diced
- 1 small onion
- 1 teaspoon of corn starch
- Sprinkle of salt
- 1 teaspoon of vinegar
- 1 teaspoon of raw sugar
- 2 jalapeno peppers, finely diced
- 2 teaspoons of paprika,
- 5 teaspoons of chili powder
- 1 cayenne pepper, finely diced
For the Salsa
- 1 large cucumber, finely sliced
- 50 grams grated cheddar cheese
- 1 tomato, diced
- black pepper, crushed
- Start with the taco sauce, in a deep cooking pot over high heat, add all ingredients and stir until combined. Cook until sauce thickens and most water evaporates, about 15 minutes. Keep stirring to avoid burning at the bottom.
- Pour into a sterilized jar and seal. Keep in the fridge until needed.
- In a frying pan with olive oil, add shallots, onion and beef mince, cook and stir to break up beef mince and until 70% cooked. Add tomato, smoked paprika, beef stock, tomato and cook until combined, about 5 minutes.
- Pour in 5 heaps tablespoon of the taco sauce (or more if you want a stronger flavour) and cook until beef has fully absorbed the taco sauce.
- Meanwhile, get your taco shells ready.
- Pour 2 tablespoon of the beef mixture into the taco shell. Continue until all shells are filled. Add Salsa toppings on top and sprinkle with black pepper. Serve immediately.
- Shop bought taco shell are also fine if you don’t want to make your own taco. However I would recommend you to make your own taco sauce as it just taste better!
- Beef mince can be replaced with pork or chicken, just need to cook longer!
- If you like, after add the salsa topping, put the taco in the grilled for a melty cheese top! 🙂
- Taco shell recipe from: Stay at home Mum