If you remembered that I used to make a Teriyaki Chicken skewers, every now and then, I tend to like doing party food just because they are easy and quick. I must say that this dish is actually quite random, but the effect turns out super good! The story begins with a leftover capsicum, some leftover chicken fillets and some leftover unagi sauce that I made a batch of, for my unagi don one night for dinner. So what should you do when you have too much leftover of everything but not enough to make a good proper dish, well, this is what I came up with, and ever since I’ve made this dish, I realised how much I love unagi sauce, it’s easy to make, taste delicious and can be really used for a marination for any meat if you like.
This dish is absolutely party-friendly, it only takes that little amount of time to make and the kids (particularly) will love it. If you have the time, it’s even better if you marinate the chicken a night before and store it in the fridge, the taste is even better! The glossy sauce that applied to the chicken twice are making the chicken look even more delicious! YUM!
You’ll need (makes approx. 15 skewers):
- 1 red capsicum, diced
- 500 grams of chicken fillet, diced
- 15 bamboo skewers
For Unagi sauce
- 120ml of soy sauce
- 120m of mirin
- 3 tablespoons of sake
- 5 tablespoons of white sugar
- Prepare the unagi sauce first. In a pot over medium heat, combine sake and mirin and bring to a boil.
- Add sugar and stir constantly to dissolve completely. Lastly add the soy sauce. Cook in low heat so it simmers, until sauce becomes glossy and thick, approximately about 20 minutes.
- Remove the heat and let it cool completely. (Or pop it into the fridge to fasten the process.)
- Once the sauce is cooled, marinate chicken pieces in the sauce for 30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven to 180°C/ 360°F. Line 2 layers of aluminum foil onto the baking pan. Leave aside.
- Insert 1 piece of chicken to a skewer, insert a piece of capsicum and then another piece of chicken.
- Repeat the process until all skewers are completed.
- Lay the chicken skewers evenly onto the prepared pan. Using a brush, brush a even coat onto the chicken skewers and bake for 10 minutes.
- After 10 minutes, remove chicken skewers, and brush another layer of marinate sauce on top.
- Repeat 1 more time with the remaining sauce.
- When the chicken is completely cooked, remove from the oven and serve.
Unagi Sauce adapted from Just One cookbook